Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 2:28 AM
TITLE: Sow Farm Technician
REPORTS TO: Sow Farm Department Head
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To work as a team member caring for and administering to sows and piglets to assure optimum productivity. This person will assist where needed working with animals and light facility repair and maintenance.
- Adhere to ISF bio-security policy at all times and report to management team any violation.
- Adhere to ISF animal wellbeing policy at all times and know reporting procedures when incident occurs.
- Adhere to ISF safety policies and procedures and wear appropriate safety equipment (PPE) for appropriate tasks and work in a safe manner.
- The 3 key responsibilities listed above are all tracked via audits, you play a critical role in the success of audits for the entire farm which also impacts incentive payouts.
- Care and management of animals to ensure that:
- Animals are properly fed.
- Water is available.
- Observation of all animals daily and ensuring sick animals are properly treated.
- Overall animal conditions are evaluated and maintained.
- Follow proper steps for timely euthanasia and be able to identify when it is needed.
- Care and management of facilities to ensure that:
- Fans, curtains, heaters and other equipment are working properly.
- Ventilation equipment is adjusted to provide proper environment.
- Facilities are kept clean, including power washing and disinfecting.
- Maintain accurate records using ISF forms and protocols.
- Procure, administer and dispense medications and vaccinations according to ISF protocols.
- Perform heat detection, artificial insemination and pregnancy checks.
- Monitor and assist in the farrowing process.
- Process, vaccinate and castrate piglets at appropriate times.
- Proper handling of chemicals (storage and application).
- Setting litters to ISF protocols.
- Wean pigs according to farm protocols.
- Follow dead removal protocols and ensure safety and biosecurity procedures are being followed.
- Move animals (sows, boars and piglets) using safe handling practices.
- Provide feedback to department heads and farm manager.
- Demeanor should be positive and professional at all times.
- Daily focus should be on welfare of animals, not personal issues.
- Attendance is critical. Be at work on scheduled days and be ready to walk into barns by start time given.
- Be friendly, positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to co-workers and management team.
- Flexibility in hours during health and staffing challenges is required.
Education/ Experience: None required
This person must be motivated and be able to follow directions and complete tasks effectively. Thus, they must have initiative, organization, and dependability. Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 40 pounds and to climb over gates up to 48 inches in height as well as pushing, pulling, bending and kneeling. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, controls, or animals. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear.
This position requires the employee to work closely with managers, supervisors, production staff and other employees, so teamwork and effective communication skills are very important. Direct contact with animals will occur, so good stockmanship and bio-security practices must be understood and practiced at all times. The employee must be able to, with or without accommodation, work in all facilities within the requirements of this job description.
• Location: Mason City, Stacyville
• Post ID: 18059567 masoncity